Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter


I received an ad/junk in my gmail this week for a nice selection of ibooks. I decided to check out some of the YA lit on the list. This one looks pretty good. I like the premise of the book as it is a series and that's so "in" right now with YA readers. I checked out C.C. Hunter's website and she offers a pretty cool book trailer as well as some other fun things that will surely attract readers. 

While this series sounds just a little familiar - Twilight - I think it might promise to be special in its own right. This book is the third in the series, so I want to go back to the first and read it and the second before I read this one. Vampires and the like are not my usual genre, but I have to admit, I'm intrigued. The Shadow Falls series is about kids with "special" talents. In this third novel, the kids go to camp. Sounds so innocent! But this isn't an ordinary camp. It's a camp to teach kids with supernatural powers how to use their powers, but one young man is going so he can learn how to lose his. The twist in this novel will find the young female torn between two loves. Yeah, I know, I know - Twilight. But I think this one is different. I think it sounds better than the previously mentioned series. 


I really like the author's website too. It's very avant garde and just cool to linger for a while. The author has written a short story to introduce the series and it is FREE to download - photo below. One of the hooks for the first book, Born at Midnight  sounds creepily enticing! I especially liked the line about Kylie's stalker - she wants to get rid of him because she's the only one who can see him! Yikes! I can't wait to get started - just as soon as I finish the yearbook....down to 40 pages. I don't think I will be doing another one. I have way too many books on my list to read! 
Born At Midnight
Kylie Galen has had a lot of crap tossed in her lap lately. Her parents are getting a divorce for who the heck knows why. Her boyfriend broke up with her because she wouldn't put out. And her grandmother died because . . . well, older people do that. But now, Kylie's acquired a stalker and she hasn't a clue what he wants or how to get rid of him . . . and she really wants to get rid of him because apparently she's the only one who sees him. Thinking she may be losing it, her parents send her off to see a psychologist who gets Kylie sent to Shadow Falls Camp. Kylie and her parents think it's a camp for troubled teens.
(From the author's website) 


OK, I read the short story and I'm hooked. 
The short is free and is the first thing I downloaded to my brand new Kindle Touch! I  finally joined the digital book parade! I didn't believe it when others have told me that they read faster using their Kindles, but after my first read, I think I might have actually read a little faster. 


At first, I thought I was going to hate reading this writer's material. In the first paragraph, I found a grammatical goof and had there been too many more, I would have put my KT down and called it a night. As previously stated everywhere I write, vampires aren't really my thing (although as a kid, I was absolutely hooked on Dark Shadows and literally ran home from school to watch it - age revelation!). There were a few more grammatical "instances" in which better writing could have been instituted. It almost read like C.C. was in a hurry. Anyway, I stayed up way past midnight because I wanted to finish this short story. It does a nice job of introducing the characters and I did enjoy the dialogue between the characters. The story line is the basic story line that YA readers are soaking up - vampires, werewolves, and shape shifters. Another unforgivable, in my humble opinion, the female protagonist's name is Della - yes, and then there's is Bella! But, I did enjoy the short story and I can definitely see the use of the free short story dragging the readers into the series. Brilliant!


Downloading to school digital formats could be a very enticing way to get reluctant readers to just try  it. First, they have the digital format which is way cool to use, and second, it's short! It can be read very quickly offering a sense of accomplishment to those readers who just really do not want to read. I like it. 

turned at dark

http://www.cchunterbooks.com/news.html



ISBN-10: 0312624697
ISBN-13: 978-0312624699
St. Martin's Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment