Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I can read it if I want to!

Finally, I have something to read! Actually, I have a whole lot to read, but not for this blog! I am reading two books for other classes. One is Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness, and the other is Translated Woman. Cocktail Hour is about a Scottish girl who grows up in Africa. Translated Woman is about a Jewish/Cuban anthropologist who goes to Mexico and takes Esperanza's story about being a woman, wife, mother, and daughter-in-law in Mexico and how it is not a Sunday school picnic.


Now, for the young adult literature I get to read! I admit that I have not read a great deal of YA lit lately, but that's because I have been taking grad classes which greatly occupy the majority of my time. I have watched my students for quite some time now traipse in and out of my classes with a book they just love, The Hunger Games. 


Divine providence! Last week, a copy of The Hunger Games just happened to get left in my classroom. I have no idea whose it is, where it came from, or how to return it as it is not a library book. I held it up for each of my classes for two days and nobody claimed it. So, I decided that it was meant to be. I will have to read this book.  


When I asked my student, Kayla, about the series, she sat right down on the floor next to my desk and gave me her "thumbs up" review! I didn't think I was going to be able to teach that day! Her enthusiasm was contagious. When I told her I wanted to read The Hunger Games, a comical thing happened. She exclaimed, "Ms. P., they are really books for teenagers!"


Pursuing the conversation, I asked her if she thought I would like the book, even though I am "old." Again, she insisted...."They're books for teenagers." 


Again, I told her I was interested and would just like to read the book to see why my students, and she especially, are so "into" this series. 


"Well, you will probably like it," she relented.


Finally, I was getting somewhere. I just felt like she thought she had to give me her approval before I could read it, because it was for teens!


I have started reading it, and while I am not in very far, I think I am going to love this book! I will let you know.......

No comments:

Post a Comment